On Saturday we attended a 'share day' where we were welcomed by the local Reiki community - a group of complete strangers who immediately felt like family due to our Reiki connection. Together we enjoyed a blissful afternoon giving and receiving of Reiki. Then on Sunday, Paul led a workshop reviewing and reflecting on the Reiki Principles and their meaning and impact on our lives.
I found the following exercise so simple and effective that I thought it worth sharing. It's based on the first Usui Reiki principle of "Just for today do not worry".
Step 1 – Name your worries
- At the top of a blank sheet of paper write "I worry about …"
- Close your eyes, take a moment to centre yourself and set your intent to accept whatever comes up.
- Open your eyes and ask yourself to complete the sentence, then write down the first answer.
- Now go back to the question, ask again and write down the answer.
- Continue for at least 10 minutes. Don’t worry if there is a pause or delay, just sit with the question and wait. You may be surprised by the insight in some of your answers.
Step 2 – Find your worry themes
- When you have your complete list of worries in front of you, review it to see if there are any themes. You may notice there is a pattern or some underlying fear from which several worries stem.
- Spend another 10 minutes on this. Don’t rush. Worry is a lack of control of the mind and the mind likes patterns, so ponder all your worries until you find some that connect.
Step 3 – Identify your worry antidotes
- Think of the times when you’ve been successful putting worries out of your mind. What is it you do to stop worrying that has actually worked?
- Make a list of things that are effective for you? It might require logic, love or trust. It might be to immerse yourself in spiritual books, workshops or teachings. Worry happens in the mind so for some people getting into the body through walking or other exercise can help.
Remember there are only two types of worries: ones you can change and ones you can't. So for worries you can change resolve to do it. For worries you can't change refine your antidotes until you have one or two you can turn to whenever you catch yourself worrying.
Then just for today, don't worry.